As a member of the SouthYeasters Homebrewers Club and of course a keen homebrewer myself, I jumped at the opportunity to get some free wort at this month's meeting.
"The Great Wort Challenge" as it's been officially named, has only a few conditions....
In exchange for the sponsored wort, some yeast, bottles, and basic advice on how to go about brewing at home (for those new to it) you could head home with a full fermentor of either 5L or 20L and simply let it run its course & hopefully enjoy some great tasting home brewed beer a few weeks later, AND contribute a few bottles of your homebrew to the club's Summer Fest event. And that's it!
I managed to get a few shots of the evening's events in between chatting with fellow club members, sipping on some Afro Carribbean Brewing Company (ACBC) beer, and making sure I got my fermentor filled!
Sorry Ken, but what is Wort exactly?
Have no fear!
Find out in this interesting article here:
- Venue: Banana Jam Cafe.
- Malt Supplied by: bevPLUS.
- Wort brewed by: Rochelle Dunlop & Greg Casey from Afro Caribbean Brewing Company, with a helping hand from Cameron Doubell from Atlantic Storm Craft Beers.
- Yeast sponsored by: Plato Yeast - specialists in high-quality liquid yeast.
- Prizes for the winners by: Beerguevara.
- Empty Bottles donated by: Stefan Wiswedel from Little Wolf Brewery.
- Added refreshment on the night by: Dissident Brewery who make a pretty darn good Golden Ale.
- With additional photos of the night available on my Facebook Page.
Other Helpful Resources
- Brewers Friend - super handy online brewing tool where you can create, tweak, print, and share beer recipes - paired with other useful resources like info on brewing water, malt, hops, equipment, and more.
- The Brewmistress - One of SA's best beer blogs, managed by freelance writer, author and traveller, Lucy Corne.
- How to Brew Beer - the basics - listed on the SouthYeasters Homebrewers Club homepage.
- Beer Country - Love beer? Dig the South African vibe? You gotta watch this.
OnTap Magazine - SA's magazine for brewers, drinkers, and lovers of beer.
Any questions, comments, or advice about beer or brewing?
See you in the comments below!